For over 250 years, Kingston Hall in Westover, Maryland, has provided an idyllic countryside life to those who have owned it. Among the estate’s notable former residents are Thomas King Carroll, former governor of Maryland, and his daughter, Anna Ella Carroll, who was a major figure in national law and politics.
Located at 7526 Old Westover Marion Road, the 18th century Georgian manor home has been listed for sale by Brandon Brittingham of The Maryland and Delaware Group of Long & Foster Real Estate and is available for $649,999. Kingston Hall and its guest house include a combined eight bedrooms, three full baths, two half baths and 6,802-square-feet of living space situated on 25 acres of land.
Kingston Hall was originally built by Thomas King in the 1780s after his father, Colonel Robert King, purchased multiple pieces of land in the three previous decades. The property, which served as a plantation, at one point included 1,566 acres of land. Thomas King’s daughter, Elizabeth Barnes King, inherited the home. She married Colonel Henry James Carroll and had two sons, Charles Cecilius Carroll and Thomas King Carroll.
Ownership of Kingston Hall eventually passed to Thomas King Carroll, and in 1829 he was elected as the governor of Maryland. In addition to being elected as governor, he was later appointed as Chief Naval Officer for the Port of Baltimore by President Zachary Taylor. The Carroll family had eight children, including Anna Ella Carroll, who was born in 1815.
Being the oldest child, Anna Ella Carroll was educated as if she were the family’s firstborn son. By the time she had finished college, the family and Kingston Hall were in financial distress, and she tried to help save the property by opening a school for girls. Due to debts incurred by previous generations of the family, the Carrolls lost Kingston Hall to foreclosure in 1837.
Despite that, Anna Ella Carroll became influential in national politics, even advising President Abraham Lincoln. She was a publicist and a lobbyist, developed the Tennessee River Plan and was well known for her writing, including “The War Powers of the General Government.” Because of the era in which she was born, much of her work wasn’t recognized until long after she passed away in 1894.
Meanwhile, Kingston Hall was deeded to John W. Dennis after its foreclosure in 1837, and then eventually went to John Upshire Dennis, who served as a judge of the Supreme Court of Baltimore. Kingston Hall has been home to numerous owners since then, including Rev. A.H. Halloway, John Hallburg, J. Edward and Nellie Snyder, and Charlton A. Gunter. Each time the property was at risk of falling into disrepair, a new owner would restore it.
Multiple projects have been completed to preserve and protect this important piece of Maryland history, including repointing to the original brick surfaces. The entry hall, parlor, dining room and library of the main home feature original raised paneling, fireplaces, floors and other original historic features.
Many of the systems are new or updated within Kingston Hall, including the electrical, plumbing, hot water heaters and HVAC. The kitchen and bathrooms have been sympathetically modernized featuring soapstone and Carrera marble to provide a comfortable environment while retaining the property’s historic charm.
Outbuildings on the property include a historic, modernized guest house, an early tobacco barn, a horse stable, a smokehouse and a rare and important ice house. Situated on a peaceful creek, the property is excellent for hunting, horse riding, kayaking, archery or simply relaxing in a beautiful natural setting.
Kingston Hall is being offered furnished, with many pieces of unique antique furniture and pieces of personal property, such as a 2016 riding mower, a golf cart, kayaks, grand piano, artwork, and more. To learn more about Kingston Hall, visit The Maryland and Delaware Group of Long & Foster online. You can also contact Brittingham at 443-783-4277.
For high-resolution photos of Kingston Hall, click here.