Spring brings warmer weather, sunshine, flowers and the promise of new beginnings – making it the ideal time for home buyers to search for a new house. Although a huge part of buying a home is visual and feature-based, buyers also base their decision on how the home makes them feel when they visit it. They want a home that is well taken care of and welcoming.
Two Long & Foster agents shared their ways to bring a home to life and make it look its best with some fresh updates to attract spring buyers.
Improve curb appeal. “Grab their attention from first sight,” said Ashley Brosnahan of the Bethany office in Bethany Beach, Delaware. “You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.” She recommends trimming the grass, removing weeds, power washing the home and walkways, and adding flowers to pots.
“Repaint or at least clean the front door,” said Sarah Scott, of the Kingstowne office in Alexandria, Virginia, who is also an accredited home stager. “Check your door’s hardware to be sure it’s not pitted or faded and clean the cobwebs out of your outdoor lights.”
Clean, declutter, depersonalize and deodorize. Scrub your home until it sparkles. Clean both interior and exterior windows and don’t forget to wipe all light switch plates, added Scott. Declutter and minimize the furniture until each room of your home looks light, airy and spacious. Remove off-season clothing from your closets to make them look bigger. Pack family photos and other personal items so that the buyer can imagine their family living there, instead of yours. “Let the house breath by opening doors and windows to eliminate lingering odors from the winter,” said Scott.
Freshen home décor.
- One of the least costly ways to transform a room, a new coat of paint can make your home look new and larger. Use light neutral colors so you can appeal to a variety of tastes.
- Light bulbs. Harsh LED’s don’t look good in anyone’s house, said both Scott and Brosnahan.
- “Add an oversized statement piece of art on one wall as the focal point of a room,” said Scott. “Smaller framed art can be added on other walls.”
- Throw pillows. Updated accent pillows can add color and enhance the appearance of an outdated sofa, Scott also added.
- Oversized geometric patterns are popular now, while lighter and more luxurious rugs are being used in entryways. “Replace any worn rugs – this will be an instant update,” said Brosnahan.
- Fresh flowers. Simple bouquets of flowers in a variety of spring colors can not only brighten a room, but also will help the home smell fresh.
If you’re considering selling your home this spring, you can rely on your real estate agent to provide more home staging tips that are tailored to your home to make it show-ready.