The original structures on the property date back to the 1750s
Originally built in the 1750s, the historic property known as Summerset is tucked amid state parks, farms and wineries in scenic Delaplane, Virginia. The property, located at 1796 Winchester Road, is the oldest restored home in Fauquier County, and the original structures were restored according to Williamsburg National Park Service guidelines.
Summerset has just over 25 acres of land, which includes the original two-bedroom, two-bathroom farm dwelling, a stone house, a barn and a smokehouse, among other outbuildings. Listed by Donna Carleton, a sales associate with Long & Foster Real Estate’s Woodbridge/Prince William Parkway office, the property is being offered for $1.1 million.
“There are many possibilities for this unique property, whether it’s building a new home on the second lot, starting a winery or operating a bed and breakfast,” Carleton said. “Summerset presents a fantastic opportunity for those who love history and see all the potential it holds.”
From the 1750s until the early 1770s, Summerset was the home of John Rout. The property transferred ownership in 1779, becoming the home of Captain Hezekiah Turner of the Continental Army. It was sold in 1787 to Hezekiah Shacklett, and the Shacklett family owned the property until 1837, at which point it was sold to Peter Hartman and Louise O’Rear. In 1880, Summerset came under the ownership of the Delaplane family and was renamed Rose Hill. The Delaplanes owned the property into the 20th century.
Summerset’s current owner purchased the property in the 1950s and has worked to restore and maintain much of it, including hand cutting the shingles on the farm dwelling. The kitchen in the farm dwelling features the original cooking fireplace, which has iron pot cranes and hooks, as well as modern appliances. A finished bedroom is above the kitchen, and two unfinished bedrooms are upstairs over the original structure.
The farm dwelling still features its original floors and plaster walls, and the dining room/parlor, living room/great hall and office each have a fireplace. Two full bathrooms on the main level were added to the home in the 1960s. An addition built by the current owner includes a large family room with hand-laid stone floors, and the Summerset cornerstone, found on the property, is embedded into the wall in the family room. The upper floor includes a master bedroom with rough-in for a large master bath. This addition also includes central heating and cooling.
The stone house on the property has previously been used as a bed and breakfast, particularly during fox hunting season. It includes a kitchenette, bathroom and a stone fireplace on the main level, with a bedroom and a second fireplace upstairs. Additional outbuildings include an ice house with space above that was once used as a plantation office, and a spring house. Numerous arrowheads have been found on the property. A 9.5-acre section of the property that was once used as a vineyard has been approved and recorded as a separate lot with the ability to build a four-bedroom house.
A brokers open will be held at Summerset from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday, Dec. 5. The event will include lunch and door prizes. To RSVP or for questions regarding the brokers open, email Carleton at Donna.Carleton@LNF.com. Summerset is shown by appointment only, please respect the owner’s privacy.
You can learn more about Summerset and view online at LongandFoster.com. Long & Foster Real Estate is the nation’s No. 1 independent real estate brand by sales volume. For more information about Long & Foster, visit www.LongandFoster.com.