National historic property located on 156 acres
Built nearly 40 years before the Civil War began, this 156-acre equestrian estate offers complete privacy, yet is less than 35 miles to the Nation’s Capital. Named East Oaks, the peaceful residence is on the market for $3.875M.
Located at 21524 Whites Ferry Road, the home includes four bedrooms, five bathrooms and over 5,300 square feet just minutes to White’s Ferry, providing easy access to Virginia. Graceful and elegant in design, it has a center hall entrance, large bay window and low gable roof. Exquisitely restored, the interior still has its original moldings, heart of pine floors, doors, locks and mantels, although it’s been updated to feature modern amenities like central heating, air-conditioning and a swimming pool.
East Oaks has retained its domestic and agricultural buildings and their style exemplifies the architecture in Montgomery County from more than a century ago. Three of the property’s buildings—the main home, the guesthouse and the original barn—are on the National Registry of Historic Places.
On the property, you’ll also find a brick smokehouse, stone bank barn, stone dairy, dairy barn and a corn crib, among other outbuildings. There are also two separate tenant houses and a three-car garage. One of the barns has six foaling stalls while the other barn has 12 horse stalls. Both barns have horse wash stalls and tack rooms. The 75-by-210-foot indoor riding ring includes a EuroXciser, which conveys with the property. The farm manager, who currently lives in one of the property’s tenant houses, would be happy to stay and continue to maintain this beautiful property for the new owner.
The property is listed by Cindy Souza, a sales associate in the Bethesda office of Long & Foster Real Estate, the nation’s No. 1 private residential real estate firm by sales volume and the exclusive Christie’s International Real Estate affiliate in the local area.
“This is a rare opportunity to own a national historic property,” said Souza. “It’s ideal for someone who is looking for an equestrian estate or for a restaurant owner to grow their own fresh ‘farm to table’ food. It also has great income potential as a beautiful winery or as an event destination.”
The Federal-style mansion was built in the1820s by Henry Young and his wife, Margaret, who both came from prominent local families. Young inherited the land from his father, Ludwick Young, who was known for his success with new agricultural techniques, such as deep plowing and sub-soiling. These methods attracted visitors to the family farm, where they could see how they worked in person.
Keeping with family tradition, the Youngs built a home on their inherited property and farmed the land. The 1850 Agricultural Census listed the value of the farm as one of the highest in the area at $12,500. After the deaths of Henry and Margaret Young, their son Henry Young Jr. and his family lived in the home and farmed the property. The Young family owned the farm for about 100 consecutive years, before transferring ownership in 1930.
On the first floor, you’ll find an elegant living room with decorative fireplace. A door leads to the study with built-in bookcases, large windows and French doors opening to the patio and yard. Wide plank pine floors continue into the large, gracious dining room with decorative fireplace. Artist Virginia McLaughlin was commissioned to hand-paint scenic dining room wall murals depicting the surrounding countryside as it looked in the 1830s. An alcove joining the dining room is an architecturally beautiful area added to the home before 1936, with a quarter-circle bay window overlooking the yard.
The kitchen is updated and well equipped with stainless steel appliances, a wine chiller, center island and plenty of cabinets. For informal dining, the spacious sunroom is the perfect setting with its beamed ceiling, exposed brick wall and many windows to enjoy the view. After dinner, retreat to the comfortable family room to watch the game by the crackling fire.
Stairs lead from the kitchen to a large bedroom with en suite bathroom. Take the grand foyer staircase to the romantic master suite, which includes a working fireplace, pine floors and updated master bath. On the other side of the upstairs hall, you’ll find two comfortable bedrooms, which share a bathroom and are accessible from another staircase toward the back of the home.
The brick terrace is a scenic spot for drinks before dinner or al fresco dining. Take a refreshing dip in the pool or enjoy a good book while sunbathing on the brick patio surrounding the pool. The gazebo sits atop a knoll, overlooking pastures and it is the perfect setting to enjoy the ever-present breezes. Your guests will enjoy the privacy of the historic guesthouse, which includes a living room, bedroom and a full bathroom. This home was built from Seneca sandstone, which was mined from a local quarry and is the same stone used to build the Smithsonian Castle.