As the month with the longest daylight hours, June is the perfect time to get outside and enjoy the warm weather. We’ve put together some tips to get ready for summer by freshening up your entertaining spaces to spend time outdoors with family and friends.
Keep lawn and flowers hydrated:
- Give your yard a deep watering once or twice a week to prevent puddling from daily watering. Reduce loss from evaporation by watering in the early morning or dusk rather than in the heat of the day.
- Water-hanging baskets and flower boxes as they dry out more quickly than plants that are in the ground.
Mow your grass:
- Set your lawn mower blades to three to four inches off the ground to help hold in moisture and prevent weeds from growing.
- Reduce water loss and heat stress to plants by surrounding them with mulch.
Inspect deck and patio:
- Check your deck for signs of rotting wood and hammer loose nails that may be poking up.
- Have your deck or patio power washed to clean off grime that may have accumulated over the winter months.
- Trim shrubs or bushes away from your home’s exterior to prevent damage caused by wood-destroying insects.
- Keep mosquitoes at a minimum by getting rid of any standing water.
If you’re planning to sell your home this summer, you’ll want it to look its best. Talk to your real estate agent about any other improvements they may have to make your home as attractive as possible to potential buyers.